Hello and welcome to the Brain Software Podcast. This is episode #156 where we discuss even more about beliefs, and how to change the ones that don't serve you.
Listen to the Episode:
Introduction for Episode 156
Today Mike Mandel and Chris Thompson examine beliefs and how to change them! This is part 2 of our series, so if you haven't yet listened to Part 1, you can listen to that right here.
Think Tank Words for This Episode
Show Notes for Episode 156
- Beliefs are self-confirming! But are they useful?
- Confirmation bias kicks in with our beliefs...
- Life is...(finish the sentence)
- Explore your beliefs...What do they enable you to do?
- Chris begins a Ken Sweatman story about water filtration...
- Assertive but friendly and polite...
- Of all the Nines Mike knows, Chris is the most awesome!
- Beliefs have a structure: A means B...or A causes B...
- Nobody has a belief from nothing!
- There will be a positive intention somewhere...
- Many beliefs are built into survival mechanisms!
- On a scale of 1 to 10 how certain are you? Why didn't you pick a higher number?
- The person must separate the belief from the evidence...
- It's about YOU!
- You must ask the questions that cause the person to evaluate their beliefs!
- Delivering a message seldom works...Make sure you have rapport!
- Use the As If Frame to challenge a belief. If you believed the opposite, how would you behave and how would things change? Would it be useful?
- The As If Frame enables you to step into a new identity...
- ABC...Always Be Calibrating!
- Offer a Golden Bridge when someone gets uncomfortable, to let them out of the conversation without stress.
- When challenging a belief, never ask a Yes or No question!
- ...and yet...is an amazing power phrase!
- Learn to apply the Meta Model - but don't be a Meta Meddler!
- Reframe with context or content shifts.
- Reframing by Bandler and Grinder is an excellent book...
- Content reframing changes the meaning for the same information...
- Context reframing looks for where the behaviour would be useful...
- How do you know that's true? What evidence would it take to change your mind?
- What will you see, hear, or feel if the belief changes?
- Beliefs are like tables. The legs are the components that hold them up...
- If we honour the positive intention of beliefs, it makes them easier to change!
- "What do you mean we're not good parents? We bought him his own TV!"
- As soon as adrenaline comes in...so does black and white thinking...
- Tap the Triple Warmer on the back of your hand while affirming! (Use Google to find the exact location.)
- Clean Language questions can unpack a belief!
- What kind of X is that X...? Anything else about X...?
- How wonderful will you feel when you completely overcome this?
Tonight! On the Level 42 Network: Jerry and the Smooth One...
Ask yourself...at this point in my life...when a lot of beliefs have solidified...which of these are no longer useful...and how amazing will I feel when I replace them?
Metafive: Selective amnesia
Ending: The Little White Balloon Redux