Welcome to Brain Software Podcast, Episode # 126. Today we talk all about communication pitfalls! And it’s also Dave Ambrose’s 17th birthday again, so let’s get started…
Here are the show notes:
Communication pitfalls suck! So we’re here to correct the problem.
As usual, it’s a rainy day here in the Hypnotic World Epicenter, but seriously folks…whatever happened to that old tranquility we used to know?
THESE ARE DAYS OF VICTORY, and Happy Birthday Dave!
- Tons of cool stuff coming up, so get on our mailing list now!
- Mike is interrupting Chris the exact right amount…
THINK TANK WORDS: Menace, impregnable, pinpoint
- Purblindness is not seeing what’s obviously there…
- Straightforward communication doesn’t work when people aren’t listening…
- Are you looking? Or are you boy looking?
- How can you tell if someone’s trying to be a dick?
- When reading text messages, don’t go beyond the words!
- The only way to find out what someone’s thinking is if they tell you!
- Mike brilliantly clarifies mind-reading!
- We cannot attribute maliciousness when it might only be ignorance!
- Mike mentions his favourite blog: TheForthrightOne.com
- Reverse mind-reading is even more annoying!
- NLP people often think they are now able to mind read!
- What do you mean by that? How do you know that? Great questions!
- The one who makes the assertion bares the burden of proof…
- This means that is an example of complex equivalence!
- Chris unpacks complex questions with zero details, and Mike quietly does a guinea pig laugh in the background…
- Chris gives Sweatmanesque details about simple questions with zero details…
- The Ken Sweatman Story! This is an explication with way too much detail…
- Pattern interrupts work well against this…
- Failure to calibrate disconnection! Look at the person’s feet and watch for signs of disinterest…
- Feet turned away means attempted disengagement!
- Busy executives stand up to end meetings…
- No exit strategy! Horrible when they cannot exit a loop…
- Feigning a heart attack is an excellent pattern interrupt!
A word from our sponsors…The Lawn Tree Blooms!
- Unfinished sentences drive Mike insane! Zeigarnik effect!
- Chris recommends people “pre-rehearse everything they are going to say”…
- Management speak! Another horrible communication error…
- Never mistake politeness for interest!
- “Be nice to people, but not so nice all the frickin’ time that you’ve just wasted your entire life listening to them!” – Chris Thompson
- Make sure you get to the point! Mike uses the Noam Chomsky example.
- Remember that Q and A requires questions, not a monologue!
- The Ken Sweatman build-up! Catch yourself and hilariously point it out when others do it.
- No need to be offensive when teaching! It’s dickish for sure.
- Mike’s dad never swore. Ever. He once called a man a “selfish basket”.
- Word whiskers! You know? Okay? Right? I mean…Like…Even skilled trainers can make this mistake.
Empowering Question: Ask yourself: Which of these communication pitfalls am I subject to, and will will I do today to eliminate them?
Empowering Metafive: Thunder Bay and the man who didn’t say anything
Ending: The Unicorn song
Please leave a rating in iTunes, and send us your questions for future episodes! You can either email them as text or record them using your phone’s voice recorder and email us the audio file! Email address is info(at)mikemandelhypnosis.com
Important Links and Reminders:
Check out our free rapid inductions tutorial because it’s really awesome!
Come and join us at the Architecture of Hypnosis training in Toronto! June is sold out but you can sign up for November 18-22 class in 2019.
See all of our upcoming live events here.